About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Sunday 27 June 2010

Custard Cake


Sorry for lack of posts - I've been on holiday in Ibiza. I had a fantastic cake there 'Flao' - I'm trying to track down a recipe for it.

When I was young my Mum used to make a Custard Cake which was amazing - it was in fact legendary as I remember friends used to come round and ask for it. Last night I found a recipe for this cake but I'm not sure where it's from as it was written on a piece of paper. So I made it and it definitely took me back to those childhood days! I didn't get the chance to speak to my Mum before I made it but have done so since. She used to make a buttercream and mix it with actual custard for the filling. This recipe just puts the custard powder into the buttercream with some hot water. Next time I'm going to try my Mum's version of the filling. The custard powder makes the cake so light and fluffy.

The Recipe:

200g plain flour
3 tbspns Birds Custard powder
2 tspns baking powder
1/2 tspn bicarbonate of soda
4 eggs
225g soft butter
200g caster sugar
2-3 tbspns milk

1. Preheat Oven to 180c
2. Butter & line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins.
3. Mix all ingredients except milk together until a smooth batter. Add the milk tbspn at a time to make soft dropping consistency. Put in 2 x cake tins and bake for around 20mins until skewer comes out clean.

Once the cake has cooled add the filling.

125g icing sugar
4 tspns Birds Custard powder
75g soft butter
1 1/2 tspns boiling water

1. Process the icing sugar and custard powder. Add butter.
2. Feed boiling water into mix while running.



No comments:

Post a Comment