About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Sunday 12 June 2011

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes




I have always loved Strawberry Shortcake - it started with the doll I had as a child and then moved on to the food version. So for this month's We Should Cocoa Challenge I decided to make a chocolate version to meet their strawberry and chocolate theme. The rich cocoa biscuit works nicely with the strawberries.  I added a little rosewater to the cream too as like how it goes with the fruit. 


The Recipe


180g plain flour
60g cornflour
30g cocoa
180g unsalted butter
90g sugar
1 punnet of strawberries
100ml double cream
rosewater (optional)


1. Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4.
2. Put all ingredients in the bowl of a processor and mix until the mixture forms a ball.
3. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
4. Roll the mixture out thinly between 2 sheets of baking parchment/greaseproof paper. Use a 3 inch cutter to make rounds. Place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Prick all over with a fork (I forgot to do this but didn't seem to matter).
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave to cool on the tin. 
7. But a small amount of cream (whipped) on the centre of the biscuit then add sliced strawberries. Repeat until you have your stack.

18 comments:

  1. heavenly... I love chocolate shortcake... in fact I had this exact dish yesterday at a tea-room in the countryside... lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea for this month's challenge- a perfect summery, chocolatey treat! I really like the idea of adding rose water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misscake baker, this look absolutely delicious!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog and i am now your newest follower :) Lovely...ill be a regular visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious, and I actually don't think I have ever tried chocolate shortbread. I loved Strawberry Shortcake too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, that's cute :) Thank you for the recipe, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted to make shortcakes for ages...and chocolate ones look even better! Delicious pairing with the strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember having the figurine with the strawberry scent. Your version of strawberry shortcake is nice too and I like the idea of using chocolate in this treat! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gorgeous idea. I love the splash if rosewater in the cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely looking shortcakes and the addition of rose to the cream is inspired. I made cardamon chocolate shortbreads last year to go with strawberries and clotted cream and I as you said the chocolate works really well. Thanks for taking part again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look and sound so divine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delicious! I have a bottle of rosewater in the press so I have been looking for ways to use it. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,

    Eu sou Daniel, eu sou do Brasil

    Esse é um lindo e maravilhosa receita. Essa shortcake é uma delicia.



    see you

    Daniel Deywes - Brazil
    http://feitonahora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to give the rosewater credit to one of the cashiers at my local Sainsburys. He is the nicest man and he was telling me how he puts a little rosewater and honey on his strawberries. When I came to making these he inspired me to add some to the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. delicious looking shortcakes fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Strawberry Shortcake too! If I remember right the dolls were scented of strawberries? Anyway your version looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete