About MissCakeBaker

I spend the week running in heels and the weekends in my apron.

Friday 28 October 2011

Healthyish Pancakes for a Poorly Mr CB





Mr CB is a feeling a bit under the weather. When it comes to man flu  Mr CB's being poorly my bedside manner is not quite of Florence Nightingale standards. However this morning I did feel a bit sorry for the poor wee soul so I thought I'd take him breakfast in bed.  He lucked out as we had no bread in the house so I thought I'd make pancakes.  I've adapted this pancake recipe from various ones I've used before - I tried to make them as healthy as possible using wholemeal flour and rapeseed oil rather than butter.   I thought the mixed berries I served them with would definitely give a nice burst of antioxidants!  


This recipe is also my entry to this month's Breakfast Club whose theme for October is 'Stars and Stripes' - for me pancakes are the ultimate breakfast food to be found across the pond. It's the first time I've entered this challenge - I came across it on Susan's lovely blog 'A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate'.


Thought you might like this little video too.....


The Recipe

135g wholemeal flour
1 tspn baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tbspn caster sugar
150ml milk
1 egg
2 tbspn rapeseed oil


1.  Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the salt and sugar.  Mix well together.
2. Beat together the milk, egg and oil.  Then mix into the dry ingredients.  Beat well together with a fork.
3. Heat a non stick frying pan and add a little butter or oil.  Ladle a spoonful of batter into the pan and cook the pancake until it starts to bubble then turn over.  


I served mine with mixed berries (I use frozen summer fruits heated up) and maple syrup or agave nectar.



19 comments:

  1. Love love love big fluffy pancakes like these! Hope Mr CB is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those photos look like they should belong on the front cover of a food magazine! I hope the pancakes perked up poor mr CB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice indeed! Love those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Mr CB has passed on the lurgy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG these pancakes sound delicious!!! Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...I love pancakes! Sounds delish. Hope Mr CB feels bette soon.

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I come round next time I'm poorly. These pancakes a poorly-man heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fabulous, just right for helping poorly people. Hope Mr CB is feeling better soon, and that you don't feel too bad - shame he was generous enough to pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant video- had me giggling all the way through! And I'm sure Mr CB felt loads loads better following these delicious pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He he, what are you implying about poor Mr CB! Hope he gets better soon. I'm no Florence Nightingale either, so I do empathise. I'm sure those pancakes will have cheered him up, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, you made me laugh my butt off with that video clip!!!! When I was 1st married 18 years ago my husband had a cold . . . long story short he told me he was as "weak as a kitten" . . . I burst out laughing . . . he never used that line again!!!!

    Your pancakes look delicious! I love the summer berries! That's my idea of a gourmet breakfast!

    So sorry you had to fly into that nasty storm, that must have been awful! I had to do that once at Logan in Boston . . . suffice to say, we were the last plane they let land that night! Hope your landing was smooth! I hope your stay in NYC is a pleasant one!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. My boys just love pancakes but I always make them with plain flour. I'm going to try and sneak some wholemeal into the next batch and see if they notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pancakes are delicious looking. I always like my pancakes with fruit and syrup too. Hope the hubs feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That video is hilarious! Not seen it before. Yummy pancakes too, I must crack on and do my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the You Tube video - funny because it's true!!!!!

    Your pancakes look utterly delicious, I regularly make crepe like pancakes for breakfast but I'll try these ones to make a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, first time here, what a lovely blog full of baking (and more!) I love these pancakes and the other things I saw here (yep I love baking and cooking!!) so I will follow you gladly :-).

    I'll have a look at the video now... I can already imagine what it will be about (seeing the title), a bit of 'ladies' solidarity' is appropriate here!

    Ciao

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are such a lovely lady. I bet your other half really appreciated these pancakes, they look very tasty indeed, full of vitamins and tasty goodness.
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I think my insinuations about man flu have come right back at me as I've been coughing and sneezing for the last week!!

    @Alessandra - thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really don't like the taste of pancakes but I always think they look nice! These look great with the berries, just what the doctor ordered! Am bookmarking this as my boyf would love them, maybe he will get them one weekend if he is very nice to me (or ill!) - hope Mr CB is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete